Original photo from I Heart Faces
Using CS4, the first thing I did was open the channels tab and click on load info (the dotted circle at the bottom of the box) This selects the highlights in the photo. I inversed the selection, which selects the shadows, and created a curves adjustment pulling the midtones up. This lightens the shadows without lightening the highlights.
The rest of my edit was fairly business as usual
- curves adjustment, slight s-curve
- levels adjustment, on each channel
- duplicated background, multiply blend mode at 20% opacity, masked the girl back in
- yellow fill layer, at 15% opacity
- high pass sharpen
- Nelly Nero gritty texture, at 15% opacity, masked the girl back in
Check out the rest of the edits!