Wednesday, February 16, 2011

{tasty} 2 things I never thought I'd say

I love canned chicken.
I love Brussels sprouts.



Oh yes, I sure do. And they often come together for a deliciously satisfying lunch, and I mean often.

The idea of eating canned chicken had never even crossed my mind before. Why? Im not sure. Its not like eating canned tuna is foreign to me. It just wasn't even on my radar apparently. While visiting with a friend one day she made us chicken salad sandwiches for lunch and I have been hooked ever since. She told me she keeps canned chicken in her pantry at all times not only for chicken salad but for quick dinners, like chicken enchiladas. The following Monday on grocery shopping day I had to buy a can. And the next time I went to Costco I had to buy a pallet full. Ok, really it was a 6-pack, but it is Costco after all. A pallet is totally believable. It is low in calories and fat and nicely but subtly flavored. What's not to love?

I don't recall ever trying Brussels sprouts as a kid. It was just one of those things I assumed I didn't like because I had never heard good things about them. I was continuously seeing them in the grocery store and finally decided I should give them a try. I hopped on Tastykitchen.com and found this recipe. Oh, it was heaven! I could have eaten the entire pan of them. I have tried a few different ways to cook them, and so far I love them all.  They are as good simply roasted with olive oil, salt & pepper as they are sauteed with dried cranberries and walnuts. With or without carrots. But almost always with a little butter.



A chicken salad sandwich and Brussels sprouts has become my go-to lunch. I cant stop making it. Since I get 3 servings out of my chicken salad, which I love with dried cranberries, walnuts, and green onions, I often have this 3 times a week. I have yet to grow tired of it; its just that good. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I do try to switch it up every now and then. Sometimes I swap out the bread with lettuce, or crackers. Thats variety enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment