Wednesday, March 2, 2011

{tasty} Bacon Biscone

Im just going to put it out there.

We are a family that loves bacon.

Its true. Even my son will jump for joy and shout "bacon!" when he finds out I'm making some.

As much as we love bacon, we do try to limit our intake of pure bacon goodness to about once a month or so. And when we do have it, I love to bake with it. Sweet or savory, bacon makes everything better.

My husband requested I make scones with bacon, cream cheese and green onion. It was totally his idea, but heck I did all the work! I made 3 dozen of these biscuits? scones? I suppose its a biscone. I enjoyed a couple and sent the rest off with my husband to work. Im pretty sure they were gone within a day and a half.

First things first, you have to cook the bacon. I usually bake mine on cookie sheets. Its pretty effortless and they cook up great! Take cream cheese and butter out to soften slightly while bacon is cooking

Allow the bacon to cool, and roughly chop. Heat oven to 375 degrees.



Cube butter and coarsely chop the cream cheese. My idea behind freezing the cream cheese is similar to why you use frozen butter. I wanted pockets of cheese and not so much melted throughout.

Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cube frozen butter and cut into dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until the butter is the size of peas and some larger pieces. Gradually add in the cold buttermilk until it is just combined. Coarsely chop the cream cheese and 4 green onions, fold in to the biscone mixture, along with the chopped bacon. 
Using an ice cream scooper, arrange scoops of the biscone mixture onto a lined or greased baking sheet. Bake, until the tops are starting to brown, about 20 minutes. 
While these are baking, melt about 2 tablespoons of butter and combine with 1 clove minced garlic and 1 green onion, finely chopped. 
When biscones are slightly browned brush or spoon butter over each one and bake until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes more. 


Bacon Biscones: makes 12

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup cold/frozen butter, cut in cubes
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/4 cups cold buttermilk
  • 4oz cream cheese, frozen
  • 8oz bacon, cooked crisp
  • 5 green onions, divided
  • 1 garlic clove, minced

2 comments:

  1. You would have loved the Chocolate covered bacon strips that were served at a wine event last weekend. It was just sinful!

    Those bacon biscones sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually made chocolate covered bacon strips before, they were pretty good!

    ReplyDelete