Wednesday, March 16, 2011

{crafty} decorative letters

I have been wanting to try my hand at more decorative altered-type items for a while. I recently picked up a bunch of canvases and wood frames and such that would be great for altering. I am currently working on a canvas project that I am really excited about. I hope it comes together like I envision it.

In the meantime, I have a letter that I  altered. A good friend of mine recently moved in to a new home and her daughters were able to move from sharing a room to having their own. My idea was to make these for the girls' doors kind of as house-warming gifts, to celebrate their new individual spaces, but I admit I am not always the most timely. Now I have one down, and own to go. Lucky for me the little girl I made this for happens to be having a birthday next week, so at least its good timing for something! Her older sister has a birthday coming up too, so now I have a new deadline for her letter.

I painted the letter black and then used Mod Podge to cover it with this bright grungy pink paper from Basic Grey Olivia- Kembrie.


I love accordian flowers. I made this one with the reverse side of the Olivia - Kembrie paper. I punched and distressed a small circle of scrap paper that I had and then topped it with a cute little felt flower, also from the Olivia collection, for the center of the flower. I layered it over a Making Memories rub on accented with a little green bling.


The paper ruffle is Florence, from the Olivia collection. I simply punched a strip of this paper with the Fiskars scalloped border punch and then pleated it, holding down each pleat with glue dots and then glued the whole thing to the back of the letter. I added a few buttons, ribbon, pearls and a BG Olivia chipboard flower with a little glossy accents in the center and called it a day. 

I'm having fun getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that aren't just for me. I love being able to do girly, flowery stuff every now and then!

2 comments:

  1. So CUTE!!! Love it! Going to hang it on her door! When are you coming over with dessert? I'm thinking lemon something.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, you've won one of my giveaways -- a Jumpstart 3 month subscription -- but I don't have any means of contacting you! Please email me at bonggamom@yahoo.com with the email address you would like me to send to the Jumpstart people.

    You can also leave a comment on the giveaway post at http://bonggafinds.blogspot.com/2011/03/whats-new-on-jumpstart-review-and.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete